Friday, March 14, 2008

Fish and Shrimp Casserole

Fish and Shrimp Casserole

My sister sent me this recipe recently. It is not the prettiest dish, but it sure is yummy!

Fish and Shrimp casserole
1cup dry white wine
12 medium shrimp (I used a pound because I LOVE shrimp)
2 tablespoons butter
4 green onions finely chopped
1 and 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon Cajun spices
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 and 1/4 pounds white fish fillets (My sister uses orange ruffy, and loves it, I used tilapia because that is the only white fish I could find)
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
2 table spoons butter (this is not a mistake from up top)
2 cups cooked white rice. ( A little more like 2.5 or 3 up to you. I would first time do 2)

In a sauce pan bring wine to a boil; add shrimp and simmer until just tender, remove shrimp peel and devein. (Save yourself the trouble, peel and devein bfore cooking!) RESERVE THE WINE YOU JUST USED into an other bowl for right now. In same sauce pan cook onions in butter for 1minute. Add cream, half the Cajun spices,basil and paprika. Bring to a boil. Add wine and shrimp.Simmer 1-3 minutes. Season fish with remaining Cajun spices and mustard. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet. Add fish and cook 3-5 minutes on each side, Slice the into even pieces. (Like the size of chicken in fried chicken rice) (My fish was so tender it was falling apart, so I just coarsly chopped it into chunks)
Place rice into an ovenproof dish. (I used a 9x9) Arrange fish on top and cover with sauce.
(I made mine ahead of time, refridgerated and increased the cooking time to 20mins)
Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes.

No comments: