Friday, March 14, 2008

Crispy Meatballs

In a big bowl, mix:

1 pkg ground turkey or 1 pkg ground beef (usually 1.30 lbs in a pkg)
3 eggs
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1-1/2 cup of GOOD QUALITY shredded parmesan cheese.
1/2 cup very finely chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp garlic powder (you can substitute minced garlic if you want)
1/2 cup milk



Preheat your oven to 400/425 (I do 425).

Mix the ingredients until just incorporated. You may need to add a little more breadcrumbs or a little more milk. The mixture should feel pretty moist, like when you roll the meatball and lay it on a cookie sheet, it should stay together, but flatten a bit on the bottom. You don't want the mixture too dry.


Roll into little balls, I like them a little bigger than a golfball size. After you finish rolling them, wet your hands with a little olive oil and give a final roll, and then put them on an oiled cookie sheet. (I put Reynolds’ Release Aluminum Foil instead of oil and that works perfectly!)

Bake for 30min, or a little longer till cooked (depends on how big you make them...)

Note: the oil that you rub on the outside of the meatball is to make it crispy. I make them *just a little* bigger than a golfball and have found that cooking them at 425 for 25min is perfect—crispy on the outside and moist on the inside!

I’ve never made it with the ground turkey, so I can’t say exactly how that’d taste. I just use the 7% lean ground beef. And, I’ve never made it with parsley, but that’s only b/c I don’t want to freak the kids out by there being something green in their food. ;)

No comments: